Newsletter Signup

.

M is for More




Many of you asked for it, so here’s a continuation of the scene that began HERE. I hope you still enjoy it!



In the rearview mirror he watched in horror as Cami sprinted unfazed towards the semi-trailers thundering down on them, and the baby blanket.

“CAMI,” Ted hollered while fumbling to free himself from his seat belt. When the strap came loose he started out the door, but the car began rolling forward again. Cursing loudly he reached back to the center console and rammed lever into park, then was out the door running.

The first thing he noticed as he got his bearings was the black skid marks scarring the road for just over a football field in length, leading from where the car had just slid off the shoulder to this side of the squirming white bundle on the road. The stench of burnt rubber hung heavy in the air despite the stiff breeze blowing from the north. Cami had already covered half the distance to the blanket, running in her bare feet, paying no attention to the rapidly approaching semi-trailers.

Ted’s heart was pounding furiously in his chest and he swore it skipped a beat when he heard a chilling sound. It was faint at first, so much so that he almost attributed to a trick of the wind, but then he heard it more clearly. It was the unmistakably wailing of a baby. This couldn’t be happening. Who would leave a baby in the road out here in the middle of no man’s land? He urged his travel weary legs to move faster.

Although his wife was sprinting like he’d never seen, Ted was still making up the ground fast. The semi’s, a pair of them running side by side like some twisted heavy weight drag race, were closer than he first thought and were giving no indication of slowing down. Cami had to be difficult to spot in her black t-shirt and blue jeans against the dark pavement, but she making no attempt to flag them down. She was entirely focused on reaching the baby. Their car had been doing 80 miles an hour when he hit the brakes and it took them almost 400 feet to stop, the trucks were probably doing close to that same speed and with their size and mass it would take them considerably longer. A couple more seconds and they’d be unable to stop in time.

Ted tore off his yellow beach shirt, ripping out the red buttons in the process and sending them flying left and right, and then began frantically waving it over his head as he ran. He heard himself screaming “STOP” at the top of his lungs, despite the utter futility of it. With every passing second his anxiety clawed its way from his gut into his throat and the more animated his waving became. See me! See me! Please dear god let them SEE ME!

His efforts were rewarded by a plume of white smoke billowing from the back of the Semi on the left, followed quickly by the other. When he heard the almost rhythmic sound of tandem tires fighting for traction against a concrete surface, he allowed the wind take his shirt and set his sights on Cami. It was still going to be extremely close.

Ted was now only twenty yards from Cami and with one eye on her and the other on the quickly approaching semi’s he could see that the truck on the left with a red cab must have been pulling an empty trailer because it was having no problem stopping short, but the one on the right was a different story. It had a solid white cab and just as it skidded past the other truck its trailer began to jack-knife ominously across the road. Ted reached Cami just as she was picking up the baby and using strength he didn’t know he possessed, scooped her up in one fluid motion and lunged out of the path of the careening trailer.

Landing just off the edge of the shoulder with Cami still in his arms, he spun around in time to see the white semi-trailer finally come to rest midway between them and where their car sat in the medium. Ted gently set Cami down and took a few steps towards the white cab, staring in disbelief. Imprinted on the side of the trailer was giant baby face with the words Gerber Foods underneath.

He turned back to his wife, who was standing there with her eyes shut and the blanket clutched tightly to her chest. The bundle in her arms was now oddly still, and silent. When she opened her eyes and met his, the emotion of what had just transpired silently passed between them. He wasn’t sure if he should laugh or cry, but the hyper-reality of the situation prevented him from doing either.

Both of their attentions turned to the blanket. Using a special kind of tenderness, Cami pulled on the corners and pealed the bundle open. When the last layer fell away she appeared confused, and then her expression froze completely. Ted could tell that something was definitely wrong.

The edges of the blanket obscured whatever she was seeing from him, so he took a step closer. Cradled in her arms, unclothed, with a cell phone taped to its chest with a single piece of black electrical tape, was a very life-like plastic doll.

Oops…left you hanging -- again. Never fear, I’ll post a third and final piece on “T” day. Have I ever mentioned that the original title of my very first novel was SLOW DANCER? You’ll find out the title for this piece on April 23rd. Also, were you aware I was holding a contest during the A-Z Challenge? You can read all about it HERE.

42 comments

  1. Oh boy, you had me going then the intrigue. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing, look forward to "T" post.

    Have a good day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suspense, descriptive and detailed writing. I feel like I've narrowly escaped being run over by a Semi. Good one...Gerber Baby!!! Can't wait for the "Come Back, Good Buddy," Letter T.

    My Letter 'M'...Modern Marvels
    Sue CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving the detail and vividness. This was great!
    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I did not see that coming. You had me reading that as fast as I could take it in. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, you always leave us hanging. We want MORE! We want MORE! You should post more on day 'R' under REVEAL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Looking forward to the final part!!

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so evil DL...

    Wow, my heart is still racing a bit. WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude. You left us hanging in the same part that you did the last time you posted this piece! No fair, I really want to know who is planting fake babies! Slow Dancer was the title of your first book? Mine was The Secret of Mulberry Woods, and it's a book that I'll never let anyone read ever again :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, we gotta wait all the way to 'T'. That's just plain mean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was scared for that child...grrr. Had fun with the blitz this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All that for a fake baby, goodness me! Great extract :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That could almost be a stand-alone short story, DL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. A lot of tension and then how you ended it! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a way to leave us hanging. Can't wait for T.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A plastic doll? Are you kidding me?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gerber truck had me laughing.

    I was sure it was a real baby. Somebody got some 'splainin' to do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very intriguing and I'm waiting for more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a few questions to ask.
    If you were doing 80 miles an hour (that's fast, 130 Kilometers an hour)when you hit brakes, what made you think there was a baby there in the first place, didn't it just look like a rag lying in the road? Another anomaly in your story is the cell phone, for you to be able to hear it above the sound of the "Semis" and your own racing heart and feet while your focus was wholly zoned in on Cami and the approaching trucks, how is that possible?
    Just an observation.
    Interesting though I must admit, definitely not something one would put down to go make coffee. I will be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, someone's playing mind games with the protagonist!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nasty booger, isn't he? At least it wasn't a real baby.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Baby in road ... skidding semis ... not good. But a cell phone taped to a doll is just plain creepy. I can't wait for you to "peal" away the layers of this mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. With today's news events, I could totally see something sick like this really happening.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes! I've been looking forward to part II, and you did not disappoint. But again you leave us hanging. Cruel, DL, very cruel. :)

    ~VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  25. And then I would be raging for being cheated and almost given a heart attack. Geez! Intense emotion in this piece as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm loving your posts! I look forward to MORE MORE MORE!! :)

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want to find out what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That last sentence was so creepy! When I started reading your post, I thought "Oh good! We're going to find out what happens to the baby in the middle of the road," and then it turns out it's not a baby at all. Very sneaky, and I hope you plan on posting more of this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very mean! My heart is still racing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooo, I thought it was a real baby! Wow!

    The car that sat in the medium confused me until I realized you must mean median.

    Love the irony of the Gerber truck, and love the breakneck pace of this. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. HOLY CRAP AGAIN, DL!!!

    That was really good. I can't wait to read more!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  32. I used to like you, I did.

    That was before you LEFT US HANGING AGAIN.

    Lyre @ Lyre's Musings

    ReplyDelete
  33. Damn, that was good. Lucky for me, it IS April 23rd. I unfortunately couldn't stop myself and read part 3 before part 2 but then I needed to know about the Gerber baby food truck...
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  34. So glad that was a plastic baby doll. But now I need to know MORE!

    Chontali Kirk
    chontalikirk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. "twisted heavy weight drag race" - very nice! Also nice touch with the Gerber Foods truck. Remember, I said I was a member of the Grammar Police?! You visited my Y post where I wrote all about it. Am I allowed to tell you that there are quite a few typos in this excerpt?! Great story! I really like it! I feel bad for saying there are typos. Ignore this comment...except for the good stuff I said :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator